Salade Nicoise Sandwiches
April 26, 2009 by Kate Heyhoe
Makes 6 sandwiches
- 3 six-ounce cans of troll-caught albacore, drained
- 2 1-pound soft French or Italian bread loaves
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons olive paste (olivada) or olive spread
- 2-1/2 ounce packages fresh arugula or watercress
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
1. Combine albacore, capers, mayonnaise and fresh lemon juice in medium bowl, add pepper to taste.
2. Cut each bread loaf crosswise into 3 pieces, then halve each piece lengthwise. Pull out centers of bread pieces, leaving 1/2- inch-thick crusts.
3. Spread olive paste on inside of each bread piece, then line with a generous amount of arugula or watercress.
4. Spread on 1/2 cup of the albacore mixture, top with the sliced tomatoes and onions, and replace the top pieces of bread.